Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Can you hear the ice forming?

Ravings: Today has been an impossibly hectic day at work, and since the day is almost over, and let’s be honest, I won’t do this at home tonight because I’ll be creating wonderfully tasty kitchen creations, I’m going to say that I officially have nothing to rave about today!

Did anyone else just hear hell start to freeze over?



Cravings: Last night was vegetarian night, and it was so good that I don’t think Jason even missed the meat. He did make a comment that the only thing that would make the mushroom strudel better was some ground beef, but I think he just needs to make irrelevant comments. He’s just secretly jealous of my culinary talents.


Mushroom Strudel

Olive oil
¼ sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 package chopped mushrooms
1 T fresh rosemary
1 T fresh thyme
Salt
Pepper
1-2 T brandy
1-2 T heavy cream
1 roll phyllo dough
½ cup melted butter

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil on medium heat until translucent. Add mushrooms, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper and cook until everything is soft. Add brandy and cream. Use just enough to make it wet, you don’t really want sauce or it will make the dough soggy.

Melt butter and lay out 1/3 of the phyllo layers. Brush with melted butter and put ½ the mushroom mixture on the phyllo about 1 inch from the edges. Cover with another layer of dough and repeat. Cover with last layer of dough and brush with butter. Carefully tuck the ends and the sides under. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes, or until dough is browned and flaky. I served it with a little side salad of spinach, sliced cabbage, red peppers, and matchstick carrots.



I had some leftover dough because one of my layers ripped, so I made 3 little tartlets for dessert. I cut the strip of dough in thirds and separated the layers in half, so I had 6 layered sheets of dough. I put each one in a ramekin and topped it with more leftover cranberry sauce (I may have to freeze the rest) and a few chocolate chips. I then topped it with the other layers of dough, put a little pat of butter on each ramekin and baked it on 350 for about 15 minutes. We served it with a scoop of the eggnog ice cream and some chocolate sauce. It was store bought. I wasn’t that ambitious!

No comments: