Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My aisle sign

Ravings: Just for continuity, I did go to bed last night at about 8:30, did some crying, and watched Biggest Loser. And Shadow was right there next to me. Normally Biggest Loser makes me want to eat, so crying during the weigh-ins was a bit foreign, but it was the makeover episode, so I just told myself that I was just so darn happy for them!

I follow several blogs, some related to food, some not. And since I can’t think of anything to write about today, I’m going to use one of the blogs as a jumping off point. The writer has the life I think I want. Probably in reality I would get tired of it, but I would love it for a while. Basically, she follows her husband (who travels for work) around the world and blogs about her experiences. That ranks right up there with the people who used to host that “Great Castles of the World” show. When I was a teenager, I desperately wanted someone to tell me how to get that job. I’ve clearly missed my calling because my job has nothing to do with food. How do I become a restaurant critic?

Anyway…. her post this morning was about how she loves to read grocery store aisle signs because it offers some insight into the culture of the locals. Then she makes her own sign, about what’s important to her. She has her husband and cake. The cake is repeated 4 times. She’s awesome. But it made me think about what my grocery store aisle sign would say. Obviously, I have to say Jason or it makes me look like a b*ch. It would also have wine, dark chocolate, pistachios, and Shadow! I think I could live happily with just those things.


Cravings: Last night was get Jason to eat fish night again. I’m tired of breaded and/or drowned in butter fish, so it was time to think outside the box, but not so far out that he wouldn’t eat it. I am calling this Fish Stew. I will admit it looks more like a soup, but Fish Soup doesn’t even sound appealing to me, so there was no way I coming out with “We’re having Fish Soup for dinner.”I served it with some prosciutto wrapped cantaloupe because that is one of his favorites. And I was totally trying to bribe him. Whatever works.


Fish Stew

3 medium tomatoes, roasted
Olive oil
Salt
2 T fresh lemon thyme (or regular thyme)
3-4 cloves garlic
½ sweet onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
4-5 leaves of kale, de-stemmed and chopped
1 can chick peas
2 cups of chicken stock
2-3 filets of haddock (or other firm white fish)
Parmesan cheese

First roast the tomatoes. Chop them up and put them on a sheet pan covered with tin foil. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with ½ of the chopped thyme and salt. Cook at 350 for about 20-30 minutes depending on how roasted you want them. Then sauté the onion and garlic in a good amount of olive oil on low heat in a large stock pot. Add the sliced carrots and the kale and sauté until starting to wilt. Add the chick peas and the chicken stock, just until everything is covered. Cut the fish in chunks and lay it on top. Then cover with the tomatoes and let it cook, covered with a lid for about 10 mins. Stir. Fish will flake a bit. Add salt and/or pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese when serving.

No comments: