Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Memories

Ravings: Warning: I’m going to just put myself right out there. I know what you’re thinking. How much more could she put out there? This blog did begin by tracking my every move in an attempt to get pregnant! But it’s worse. So much worse. I have a horrible memory! Now I know that doesn’t sound so bad, right? We all forget where we put the car keys or leave that load of laundry in the washer. But I find it utterly impossible to remember dates. The really important ones! My husband’s birthday, my sister’s anniversary, my graduation from college. It’s all just gone from my brain. I’m not proud of it, and I have done my best to hide it, but it’s become a complete energy drain to pretend like I have any idea what happened when. I give up! Judge me as you wish, but I am hopelessly dependent on my electronic calendar. Now if I could just figure out how to synch them all!!!

Whew. I actually feel better.

Cravings: As I promised, there was some yummy goodness created in my crock pot last night. Added to the pot, in no particular order was 1 medium onion, 4 medium carrots, 2 sweet potatoes, several leaves of kale, 3 gloves of garlic, and 2-3 tomatoes all chopped. To that I added about 1 ½ cups of dried chick peas/garbanzo beans that I quick soaked (boiled for a couple minutes, covered and left in the pan for about an hour), some cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, allspice, salt, pepper, and some fresh parsley. I then added enough water (you can use chicken broth, but I have the vegetarian to please)to just cover it, and turned it on high overnight. When I got up in the morning I turned it to low for the 8+ hours until dinner. My crock pot cooks super high, just fyi.

When I got home, I boiled some kamut, which is a grain similar to rice, but has a chewier texture. I think technically it has gluten in it, but I had some and I love this stuff, and I’m not allergic to gluten. And I did only agree to go gluten light, since there is very little that would cause me to give up beer and/or wine! I served it in a big bowl mixed together with some fried apples on the side. For the apples, I just sliced 2 gala apples and sautéed them in some butter until they are slightly soft, and then added a tablespoon or so of brown sugar and a small handful of chopped up pecans. I served mine with some plain yogurt and a drizzle of honey, but Jason and CJ ate theirs plain.


I really need to work on my food styling! I promise it tastes much better than it looks.

1 comment:

Dannette said...

For the record, I don't remember my own wedding anniversary either!