Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

More lemonaide

Ravings: I know. I know. It’s been days since I’ve written. But, did you read my last post?? My life is crashing down around me. Cut me some slack already.

Ok. That’s not entirely true. Secretly, I’m kinda enjoying Jason’s “time off.” He’s gotten more house projects done in the last week than we completed all of last year. We are putting the final touches on his resume also, so for those of you waiting on this, it will be done very soon! It’s pretty amazing the amount of energy and motivation he’s had. I would still be in bed feeling sorry for myself and eating ice cream, while trying to convince myself to get up and be productive. I’m not sure if this is denial and he’s decided that if he just keeps moving he doesn’t have to face reality, although the speedy completion of the resume seems to indicate otherwise. Or if this is his way of flipping off depression. Like he’s saying, “You can’t get me this time!” Either way, this is working for me. Because we all know it’s really just all about me, right?

Seriously, I was afraid that this would send him spiraling, but it really hasn’t. He’s optimistic that he will find something and is looking at this time as an opportunity to tackle all these unfinished projects. I’m so proud of my husband. I really did get lucky!!!


Cravings: Who doesn't love soup? I think it's the ultimate comfort food. So despite the unseasonably warm weather I created a creamy, comforting soup, served of course with a grilled cheese sandwhich. Then because the kale is coming back, I had to find a way to work it in and I saw this chicken recipe on pinterest. It was titled "Man-pleasing Chicken" and since my husband is such a rock star this week I just had to make it!


White Bean and Roasted Mushroom Soup

2 packages mushrooms, chopped
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups white beans (these were from my frozen stash)
4 cups water (could also use stock)
1 Tbsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried sage
1 cup cream of whatever soup mix (recipe to follow)

Roast mushrooms in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Saute onions in a bit of oil until softened. Add garlic and saute for another couple minutes. Then add beans and water and simmer for several minutes. Add thyme, sage, and soup mix and simmer for a few minutes before serving. I served this with a grilled cheese sandwhich using swiss cheese and tomato slices.

Cream of Whatever Soup Mix (from 1 Orange Giraffe)

1 cup non-fat dried milk

3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup bouillon (if you have cubes you have to smash them up)
4 Tablespoons freeze dried minced onions
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme (I couldn't find the thyme so I used dried parsley instead)
1 teaspoon pepper

For the equivalent of one can of condensed cream soup, mix 1/3 cup dry mix with 1 1/4 cup water. Cook until thick.


Man-pleasing Chicken (found on Pinterest adapted from Witty in the City)

2 chicken breasts (original recipe calls for chicken thighs, but I didn't have any)
1/2 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar

Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper and put in a baking dish. Whisk the rest of the ingredients together and pour over the chicken. Flip chicken over coating both sides with sauce. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 450. I served with a mixture of white rice and Himalayan red rice, and a side of sauteed greens.

Sauteed Greens (previously posted here)

I did tweak the recipe a bit by using Rainbow Chard instead of Broccoli Rabe and I added about a Tbsp of fresh chopped rosemary.




No comments: