Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fashion torture

Ravings: How is everyone doing on making changes for National Nutrition Month? Jason and I continue to plug away and are gearing up for our sugar fast. I'm ready to start any time now, but he wants to wait until his office's biggest loser challenge!

I think that I mentioned my New Year's Resolution was to dress more fashionably, and I really have been making an effort. It goes infinitely better in the morning, as I'm rushing around to get myself and everything else ready, when I pick out my clothing and accessories before I go to bed. I have come to the painful realization that Jason is spoiled, which is of course, completely and totally my fault. However, it is still irritating. One of the many ways this manifests itself is in the morning routine. It has now become my responsibility to make him breakfast and get him out the door on time. I know, I know....he's an adult and I need to confront my need to please. That could take years of therapy and this is a blog, so let's not go into that right now. We all know I have some issues.

The point I am trying to make is this. If you want to start your day with a positive attitude, DO NOT try on tights/pantyhose in the morning! As a general rule, I avoid these garments at all costs, but in my attempt at replicating some sort of current fashion, I gave it a shot this morning. I am wearing a cute, black wrap dress with a swingy grey sweater and thought some black patterned tights would look cute with my tall black boots. But, would they have hidden the scrapes and bruises I obtained from trying to get them on! I am now smacked with memories of why I avoid these things. First, is it even remotely possible to put these torture devices on gracefully? My body no longer bends and twists in the ways necessary to pull these on without falling down and/or breaking a limb. To be honest, I'm not sure it ever did. Secondly, ouch! I can't spend all day sitting at my desk unable to breathe beyond a shallow wisp of air. And lastly, what if I have to go potty? I'm mean seriously, it's not like I can go 9 hours without a trip to the restroom. Besides being embedded in my flesh and risking possible skin abrasions, how would I ever get them back on, even if I could persuade myself it was necessary? I'm not wearing them! There's only so far I'm willing to go for fashion.


Cravings: Jason was out of town all weekend, and I was busy running from town to town on Sat, so there really wasn't any cooking happening this weekend. I do have a recipe to share from last week, although I can't remember when I actually made it and it's a classic. Last night was grocery shopping night, so we threw together some spaghetti and store bought garlic bread. Although really yummy, not really a highlight of my culinary talents because it's basically chopped tomatoes and some spices.

Pasta Carbonara


1 package noodles
1/2 cup of pasta water, reserved
4 bacon slices (this was for two)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup peas
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup grated parmesan cheese

Cook noodles according to package directions. Cook bacon slices. I cooked ours in the oven because we only put the bacon on mine and Jason's, but you can fry it and then use the bacon grease to cook the other stuff. Saute the garlic in a bit of oil (or the bacon grease), add the peas to warm, then add the milk, eggs and cheese and immediately add the hot pasta and the reserved pasta water. Mix until creamy. Serve with the bacon and bit more cheese sprinkled on top.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Maybe this is the beer talking, but have you considered that you're not trying the correct size? Tights shouldn't be so torturous :)