Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Infertility! Does that make you uncomfortable?

Ravings: I read an article this weekend about the taboo of infertility. It really made me sad. Not sad for me because I suffered through it, but sad for the world that we still create an atmosphere where people are ashamed of not being perfect and afraid to reach out for help. Way back then, it was one of my reasons for doing the blog. Not specifically about infertility because I didn’t know I was (infertile, that is) until after the attempts at artificial insemination, but about the lack of information and support that women and men face in baby-making. I am still shocked at how uncomfortable this conversation makes people, even more shocked than I am by the judgment that occurs about artificial insemination or in-vitro fertilization. At least those are active decisions. Infertility isn’t something someone chose or even caused. It just is, like brown eyes or black skin.


I admit that I participate in this at times. While I'm pretty open about the journey that I've been on, I do tend to make light of it in social situations. Clearly there are times that are not appropriate for discussing it, but I feel this need to protect others from the uncomfortableness of it even when it would be appropriate. I wonder what would happen if when the next time someone asks me if I have kids, I respond with "No, I'm infertile." I think I'm going to try it!


Cravings: In my 5 minutes a day of spare time, I am working on cataloging the recipes. Please, be patient. I promise it will happen one of these days.

I did actually make a wonderful potato corn chowder this weekend, but I left my ipad at my sisters and have none of the information with me, so I owe you a recipe from the weekend.

No comments: